There has probably been a church on this site since the seventh century (Saxon and then Norman), but St Michael's Church as seen today was largely built in the early fifteenth century in the style called Perpendicular. It was altered and restored in both the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries. The upper part of the tower and the spire date from the early 1800’s. The oldest item in the Church is the font (the square stone bowl in which water is put for baptisms) which dates from the mid twelfth century (Norman/Romanesque). There are many monuments and some fine stained glass.
The Church is notable for the magnificence of its siting, crowning the hill above the fording place of the River Stort. It is unusually large, 52 metres long and with a spire 56 metres high, visible for miles around. The parish has been associated with the Bishops of London since before the Norman conquest, but is now within the Diocese of St Albans.